Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

'Sharing the Faith' in 2014

Upon graduating high school at a mere seventeen years of age, I had only dreamed of being a radio disc jockey. I attended a couple of Bible colleges, yet not to pursue a radio degree. I graduated from Emmanuel Bible College, Kitchener, in 2005 with a Bachelor of Theology in Youth Ministry.

So why the change?

I honestly never sought out a change. My I had a dream to be a disc jockey, and with my love for Christian music, it would make sense to be a "Christian radio" dj. Yet, in the late 1990s, was there much hope for such a dream in Canada? Southern Ontario specifically? Not much. Or so I thought. I attended meetings in the basement of an old church in Woodstock, Ontario about a potential Christian radio station, or group of stations, to be created somewhere in southern Ontario. I was most certainly an outsider, but the possibility of a 24-hour Christian radio station was only a pipedream to me, to be able to spread my wings if it were, and see if I could bless the other side of the microphone with the sound of my voice. Instead of dj-ing, I thought I'd go to school and learn about youth and families and perhaps someday I could do Christian radio on the side.

Sure enough, this group of men and women I dreamed in Woodstock with had their dreams come true. Their vision for Christian radio in southern Ontario would not only include Sound of Faith radio stations in London, Woodstock and Brantford, but Faith FM in Kitchener. Faith FM is the ministry I now volunteer my time and resources, and with whom I share my passion for spreading God's Word.

During the summer of 2004, shortly after the birth of Faith FM, the station's producer, Tanya, contacted me regarding my interested in Christian radio. I met her at one of my baseball games. She asked if I'd be willing to create a feature in which I would profile Christian artists, and since then, I've worked minimially in sales, help produce Canada's longest running church radio ministry (Kitchener's St. Matthew's Lutheran) and have created, along with my wife, Jenn, our personal online ministry that coincides with a weekly radio show, "RetroSwitch" held here on Faith FM, Kitchener, and most recently syndicated on Faith FM 99.9, London, ON, and Faith FM 93.9, Brantford, ON.  It's an upbeat radio program hosted by yours truly, "Parker," playing music primarily by Christian artists with songs from the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's.

As you can see, Faith FM is part of what I do. Without it, I couldn't have fun on the radio airwaves! Faith FM is a non-profit ministry, and therefore looks not only to advertisers to fund operations (paying Faith FM staff, its radio license, etc), but depends on donors. Once annually, Faith FM conducts a fundraising campaign to cover operating costs (which amounts to $1393 a day, $1 a minute) and while we look to the CRTC to increase our signal, supporting this ministry is more important than ever. This year's campaign, "'Share the Faith' Radiothon," occurs Thu., Nov. 13 - Sat., Nov. 15.  The goal is to raise $70 000 this year, and at any time, donations can be made by going to Faith FM, Kitchener's, website, http://www.kitchener.faithfm.org/, or between 9 am and 5 pm calling 877-741-9430.  By supporting BEFORE Nov. 15, you'll be entered into two draws, including a significant grand prize draw of 4 tickets to see Disney's The Little Mermaid in Cambridge, ON.  (Visit www.kitchener.faithfm.org).  YOU CAN ALSO SUPPORT during RetroSwitch on FRIDAY, Nov. 14 when I'll be LIVE on the airwaves on FAITH FM 94.3, and of course, you can request your favourite retro music while doing so!

I urge you to pray to see if God would lead you in donating to the minstry of Faith FM now until Nov. 15. Any gift is valid, and if you cannot give, pray for those who are able. To pledge, you can call Faith FM at 877-741-9430 weekdays between 9 am and 5 pm, or visit http://www.kitchener.faithfm.org/. If you have any questions, you can ask me, too! Remember, as the ministry of Faith FM grows, so does the ministry of RetroSwitch. I am truly thankful to see what God is doing and will continue to do!

Jason "Parker" Parke
RetroSwitch

No comments: